Choreography is the highly creative process of interpreting and coordinating movement, music and space in performance. By tracing different facets of development and exploring the essential artistic and practical skills of the choreographer, this book offers unique insights for apprentice dance makers. With key concepts and ideas expressed through an accessible writing style, the creative tasks and frameworks offered will develop new curiosity, understanding, skill and confidence.
The chapters cover the key areas of engagement including:
- What is a choreographer?
- Getting started: practical essentials
- Improvisation, ideas and developing material
- Context, stage geometry and atmosphere
- Movement as dance in time and space
- Choosing and working with music
- Solo, duet, trio and group choreography
- Structure and the 'choreographic eye'
Size: 24.6 x 19 cms
Includes 87 colour and 56 b&w photos